Quick Facts about Accotink Learning Center
The original Accotink Academy (located on Tuttle Road in Springfield, Virginia) was founded by Elaine McConnell over 30 years ago. That school currently focuses on teaching students with moderate to severe emotional, behavioral, and learning disabilities. Eight years ago, a new program was carved out of the original school population to address the needs of students with learning disabilities and other health impairments. This program eventually became Accotink Learning Center, located on Rolling Road in Springfield, VA.
Accotink Learning Center is licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia to provide educational services for a broad range of students including those with LD, OHI, S/L, and multiple disabilities. The school is accredited by VAISEF (the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities).
Accotink Learning Center has contracts with many school systems in the area, which fund students from their districts to attend our school. We also have many students whose tuition is privately funded. Accotink Learning Center offers individual and group counseling, speech and language therapy, and occupational therapy to meet the needs of the students.
Accotink Learning Center is a fully accredited private school for students in grades 6 - 12:
- Who have learning disabilities or other problems affecting school performance
- Who need multi-sensory and/or innovative teaching strategies to achieve educational goals
- Who have a history of underachievement or unsatisfactory performance in traditional classroom settings
- Who have attention, organization, and/or motivation problems that interfere with learning.
- Whose post-secondary goals include 4- year colleges, community college, job training and direct entry into the work force.